Posted by Kashif Manzoor on 28th December 2012
From last few months, we are trying to figure out,
- What are the hardware requirements for Fusion Applications?
- How to do a hardware sizing?
- What are the parameters to baseline optimum hardware for fusion applications?
After Oracle OpenWorld 2012 Oracle also started pushing more efforts on Fusion applications to market in Middle East… Similarly from last few months we are struggling with the ‘mysterious’ sizing requirements for Fusion Applications. I read lots of forums posts, goggled and from different people asserting what the hardware requirements for Oracle Fusion Applications are….. and we are not able to find from any of document to clearly states the overall hardware requirements essential for Oracle Fusion Applications. We can find the hardware requirements for the individual components, but we cannot simply sum up of these requirements.
Few statements lead us that it requires 128GB RAM, other claims 60GB RAM or 90GB RAM.
After searching on Oracle Support I have found MOS note: Fusion Applications – How to get Sizing Requirement? [ID 1379929.1] and the Oracle’s comments are:
“Oracle wants to ensure that each customer is successful with Fusion Applications and as it has over a hundred different components giving a sizing estimate has proven to be a bit of a challenge.
So instead of giving a one-size fits no-one estimate Oracle has a special process in place that will lead to a proper sizing advice.
It consists of contacting your Oracle Sales / Account person who in turn engages the Oracle Fusion Applications environment sizing experts team.
Based up on your inputs they will provide a proper sizing report recommending the disk and memory requirements and CPU sizes for your configurations and usage level.”
And the Fusion Application Installation guide says “Consult an Oracle Fusion Applications sizing-certified representative to obtain specific, customized system hardware requirements.”
Till now, we haven’t heard any other comments from hardware vendor to facilitate this process like major hardware vendors are providing Hardware sizing questionnaire for Oracle eBusiness suite (refer my earlier post for eBusiness suite hardware sizing requirements)
In short, we don’t have other choice to workout except to approach Oracle Sales Team for hardware sizing recommendations…..
Update on 17-Jan-2013
Oracle has organized Fusion overview training for partners in Dubai; there was a one session for Oracle Fusion hardware sizing process and the final conclusion is that oracle has dedicated team to work for hardware sizing and they have build Set of questionnaire to ask input from customers.
Following is the update from the session:
Sizing Process Overview:
- Identify Modules
- Identify Fusion Application Modules
- Pricing Calculator from ASM is a great place to start
- Gather Information
- Use sizing survey to gather sizing information
- Users, Servers, Virtualizations, operating systems, high availability, etc
- Perform Sizing
- Use RAS tool for Fusion applications to create sizing
- Manual sizing will be needed for some modules
- Verify Prerequisites
- Verify pre-requisite components using price list supplement
- May need to consult more than one price list supplement
- Create Bill of Materials
- Use License Configuration workbook to create overall license configuration and bill of material
- Create Pricing
- update or create pricing calculator for technology components
- Create Overview Presentation
- Use sizing overview presentation template to create a customer presentable sizing overview presentation
- Review with Tech Team
- Review the sizing overview with both the applications team and the technology team
Reference Architecture Sizing Tool: